Scarless Breast Lift via Serdev Suture
Scarless Breast Lift via Serdev Suture®
This scarless breast lift procedure is a novelty that has changed the cosmetic surgery world and its application for young patients since 1994. The technique is especially important in Asia and Latin America, for Asians, African-Americans, Indians, and others who form keloids and lumpy scars after operations. Serdev Suture Lifts do not involve skin incisions or excision, but are performed only through skin puncture points.
Serdev Suture® Lift
This Serdev Suture® method can achieve a scarless breast lift of up to and over 14 centimeters and is most suitable for the following types of breasts:
- not very heavy full breasts;
- in the presence of subpectoral implants with subsequent drooping of the breasts (after childbirth and lactation);
- empty and loose breasts (after childbirth and breastfeeding) - in such cases the technique is combined with subpectoral implants. In sagging breasts implants should not be placed over the pectoral muscles, because this will lead to even more drooping. Therefore, breast lift requires breast fixation to the level of the pectoral muscle (the normal position in young women), and then placement of appropriate implants under the muscle, to hold them in the appropriated position (see breast augmentation);
- in drooping breasts after subglandular augmentation (over the muscle) - in such cases, patients should not wait until the skin elongation becomes visible. The implants should be removed, along with the capsule - a difficult but a necessary operation, preventing post-op seromas and infection. Implants should be placed under the pectoralis muscle. Patients should advise the cosmetic surgeon at what level they want their nipples - in the middle of the implant, higher or lower.
NB!! Implants should be generally replaced below the muscle - implants should be smooth and be able to move naturally, without hurting the muscle.
Because of modern anesthetics and the new methods without trauma, pain and swelling after surgery are reduced and are not significant. In half a week patients can return to their social life and if necessary - even the day after surgery. However, it is preferable to rest for 2-3 days.
Due to lack of scars, the breast lift using Serdev Sutures® can be repeated to maintain the aesthetic appearance of the breasts even in advanced age. Gigantomastia, i.e. very large, very heavy and drooping breasts can not be operated in this manner, because of gravity and overskin.
NB!! Exercises with the arms and weight lifting are prohibited for a month and a half after surgery!
Serdev Suture® is also used for repositioning of breast implants in cases of symmastia and false positon.
Other Surgical Methods
Previously existing methods are characterized by unpleasant scars that, despite surgeons promises, remain for life.
Depending on the amount of breast lifting which needs to be accomplished, different techniques may be used which involve different incisions:
- Around the areola (Round block) - leading to a flat areola, often unpleasant hypertophic skars, skin rippling.
- Inverted T (around the areola, vertically down and in the fold under the breast).
- Vertical (around the areola and vertically down) - due to the excess skin, incisions often turn into inverted L or T. Rearrangement of glandular tissue and skin changes the shape of the breasts and results may be different from the expectations. Scars worry patients and sometimes cause disturbances in the relationship with their partner.
Generally, the more lifting that is required, the larger the incision (therefore, the larger the scar would be).
The vertical incision achieves a greater amount of breast lifting, however, it involves an incision that not only surrounds the aereola but also extends vertically onto the lower portion of the breast.
The T-incision usually achieves the greatest amount of breast lifting. However, it also requires the largest incisions, which go around the aereola, down the breast and under the breast. The appropriate amount of skin is removed. The breast tissue is tightened with internal sutures. External suture is used to close the skin around the areola, down the breast, and under the breast.
Healing time may take several weeks. Usually, a special bra is worn to support the breast. That takes up to three months. The compression bra is an important part of the recovery process. The bra provides support, comfort and helps minimize the swelling.
A lot of people are opting for various breast procedures and one of the most common among them is “mastopexy”. This is the surgery that involves uplifting of sagging breasts and, in certain cases, repositioning of the nipple and areola in order to restore normality and beauty. The excess skin is removed and firmness is provided to the breasts. Though mastopexy can be done as a stand alone surgery, many people combine it with breast augmentation. This involves inserting implants inside the body in order to get the desired effect. Unfortunately though, the effects of mastopexy are not permanent. As a person ages and due to effects of gravity there are chances of descensus.
This breast procedure is best recommended for people whose breast development has stopped. Women who have given birth and are not considering further pregnancies can also opt for this surgery. A person who does not smoke and has a normal body weight is considered to be the right candidate for surgery without many side effects. People who opt for this procedure should have a good understanding and realistic expectations. They have to be emotionally strong and understand that the effects are not permanent.